Hisptamatic Print – I was memorized by these kites on Yeouido Island during the Cherry Blossom Festival in Seoul.
Tracy, a friend I’ve known since the days of Junior High keeps a lovely blog of the things she does with her adorable 3 year old son, Noah. I love reading it and feeling closer to her and getting to know Noah, even though I’ve never met him in person. On Tuesdays, she writes a post titled ’10 on Tuesday’ and I always enjoy her lists. I thought I would try it out as well, anything to get me blogging on a more regular basis.
Today happens to be my mother’s birthday, so I thought I would do my first ’10 on Tuesday’ on 10 great things about my mom!
1. At 55 years old, she is still super beautiful!
2. She’s always there when I need her, whether I have a funny story to share or need to complain about something or when I just need to hear her voice. Thank goodness for Skype!
3. She always visits me! Sometimes those trips were emergency moves (Chicago), or for graduations (Chicago, NYC), to have pizza and gelato with me and my sister (Phoenix), to explore new cities (I promise, it’s just one more block…). AND in September, she’ll be venturing to South Korea with my sister to get naked in Jimjilbongs (Korean Sauna), sing in norebongs (Korean karaoke) and eat live octopus! It will be her greatest adventure yet!!!
4. It’s because of her that I’m obsessed with mailing cards and postcards. Even thought they might not always get there on time… Her years of thoughtfulness and caring have rubbed off on me a little!
5. I’m pretty sure my love of photography started because of her (and my dad). If you ever visit my family, they can keep you entertained for hours showing you photographs from our life. They have dozens of photo albums in chronological order starting with their wedding (they just celebrated their 34th wedding anniversary)! AND I’m the only child with my own baby album (the joys of being the oldest)!
6. I love that she’s from Italy. I love being Italian!
7. That’s she’s given up on trying to stop me from doing things… When I told her I was moving to South Korea to teach English, she told me to be careful. When I used to tell her my crazy plans, she would try to stop me! I do appreciate it now, but I really did want to move to Hollywood to be a famous actress when I was 18!!
8. We always have fun together… playing scrabble, eating ice cream topped with my nana’s bootleg limoncello, going for a walk, spending the afternoon at an art museum, playing with puppies, making fun of my dad or nana, going shopping (even though she hates going shopping with me)…
9. My love of seafood, foreign films, art, peaches with wine, reading, basil, flowers, thrift store/antique shopping, old music, nutella, traveling, postcards, photography, water … are all because of her!
10. One of my earliest memories that still makes me smile is sitting in the park with my mom and my sister while my mom made us flower chain bracelets, necklaces and crowns. There was a pink elephant slide. We just recently moved from Oklahoma to Colorado and I remember missing the people I used to see everyday but her flower jewelry and that pink slide made everything better… and all these years later, she still makes everything better!
Happy Birthday Mom!!!